Main Character Kinda Year

2022 will go down as the year I entered my main character era. Lol I hope I am using that expression right. It's just that emotions were intense practically throughout the year, from highs to lows, that it felt like I was indeed the lead in a movie, rather than the chill sidekick. And because of this, I feel the need to blog about it. 

I wish I had the time to blog lengthily about every important moment. Perhaps I will in the future to help me process my emotions, but for now, I'll go with laying down the highlights just so I could document the year that was in all its craziness.

So here we go:

Sloan got vaccinated for COVID-19. We had been waiting for this moment ever since the vaccine for kids was announced. With the surge of cases in the beginning of the year, Michael and I of course wanted to make sure that Sloan was protected at the very least from severe symptoms, if not the virus itself. 

I voted for a presidential candidate I wholeheartedly believe in. While the results did not go my way, I still stand proud of the choice I made.

In-person events came back. After years of hosting and attending events via Zoom, it was refreshing to engage with people face to face again. Some of the best moments would be our town hall, media conference, and client event, and company Christmas party. On a side note, I think the pandemic has made me discover that I am actually an ambivert rather than an introvert. I value solitude but also need social time to be re-energized, draw ideas, and generally balance things out. Even our return-to-office days once a week can already do so much.







Sloan graduated from 6th grade and went back to school - literally! After two years of virtual classes and a graduation ceremony via Zoom, it was so nice seeing him don his uniform again and connect with friends in person. Finally, a sense of normalcy for our boy! It was kinda bittersweet for me though because for most of the time that he had to remain indoors, it was just him and me, while Michael reported to the office (he was at the Congress at that time and then later travelled during the campaign period). It felt like an end of an era, but I am happy to have spent that much time with him.

On a related note, Sloan did get COVID shortly after face-to-face classes started, but thankfully, the symptoms were mild on account of being vaccinated. Luckily too, Michael and I didn't catch it ourselves so we were able to focus on his recovery. 

I got to fly again for local and international trips. I travelled to Iloilo and Penang, Malaysia for work and then to Bangkok for a short trip with the family. How I've missed this! The Iloilo trip was special being the first flight in three years (the last one was the Japan trip back in 2019!), plus I got to explore a bit too. The Penang trip was to attend the Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards where Sun Life scored a double win, so that was definitely cool despite being a really quick trip. But the best one was Bangkok because not only did I have my boys with me, Junj joined us too while Ate and Rocel flew in from Jakarta. 



My cat lady status was cemented. From feeding stray cats to spending part of my bonus to fund their spay-neuter procedure and anti-rabies and vitamin shots, I was a cat lady through and through. On a happy side note, the strays got adopted and so they now have (hopefully happy and forever) homes. All that is, of course, on top of becoming our pet cat Ace's main human. Look at this qt pie!

Michael and I purchased another property. We had been wanting to put up a business but still had no idea what we wanted to build, so while we're still mulling that, we decided to invest in real estate for now, It's nothing fancy - just a studio unit in a condo in Paranaque which we could either set up as a halfway home or put up for rent.

At the model unit

I got promoted. I am not exactly ambitious when it comes to my career progress. I'm fine with being happy with what I do, being part of a great team, and getting paid fairly - those are already huge asks, so moving up the corporate ladder is not really something I plan around nor manifest. However, I was given the opportunity to advance significantly in my career, and I am definitely grateful. The thought of it sometimes overwhelms me, but Michael is always quick to calm me down and remind me that I can and will deliver.

A book I helped write was published. It took us two years to finish everything, from the interviews to the drafts to the edits. It was worth seeing the final product with our names printed on it. What an honor it is to be entrusted with the story of an amazing entrepreneur and family man.

Michael turned 50. People find it hard to believe, but yes, the dude is 50 haha! We had a chill celebration at a resto with only about 50 friends and family in attendance. Having worked in radio, print, digital publishing, and politics, and with interests ranging from music to martial arts, Michael's guest list was quite an interesting mix. He's not exactly the social type, but he did his best to catch up with everyone who was there - and had fun while at it! 



 

Friends and family time: check. This being the year when people were given more freedom to gather, I was able to clock in lots of quality with friends and family. The pandemic has taught me to never, ever take this for granted, and so I made the most of it in 2022, making time for people who matter.



So there. It was quite a mad year and it was not without challenges. However, the highs outweighed the lows and I have many reasons to be thankful. 

2022, you were something else. 2023, let's be fast friends please. Being a main character is quite the rush, but puwede rin namang petiks muna tayo ng konti lol. 

Happy new year, folks!


Comments

Popular Posts