an unexpected award, an unexpected trip

I've just returned from a week-long trip to Canada, where I got to see Toronto and Montreal.

I am starting out with that sentence as a way of reminding myself that it really, truly did happen! To be given the chance to visit a different country is always a blessing, and the fact that I got this opportunity because of the work I do for the Sun Life Foundation makes it even more special.

It all started when we joined an internal competition within Sun Life called the CEO Excellence Awards, which aims to recognize notable projects from Sun Life offices all over the world. Our entry was focused on corporate social responsibility, specifically on Sun Life Foundation's shift in focus and how that helped create sustainable projects that would touch more lives and create significant change. I am able to help out with these projects by crafting the communication materials they need.

We didn't get our hopes up, thinking that we didn't have much of a shot amid all the business-focused entries. But then we won!

Boy, was I so ecstatic when I found out about it, and even more so when I was told that I would be among the three representatives who will be sent to Canada to personally receive the award!

It was such a thrill seeing our page in the souvenir book.

 With my fellow awardees: Sun Life Foundation adviser Joub Miradora and multimedia artist Lex Murillo. We are all volunteers, so to speak, of the Foundation.

Love this selfie taken by Sun Life Asia President Kevin Strain (leftmost)! In photo with us is our global President and CEO Dean Connor.

And that's how I ended up spending a week in the western hemisphere for the very first time - getting to know colleagues from all over the world, seeing places I usually just read about online or see in movies, marvelling at the different culture, exploring for hours on foot, and once again rekindling my love for traveling.

Definitely one for the books. Separate entries on Toronto and Montreal coming up next... hopefully soon!

Comments

  1. I know this is sooo late already but I really want to congratulate you for for your success. You deserve it! While I was reading your post I thought that this is really where you're meant to be. :) So happy for you Len, you inspire me more than you'll ever know. hi hi :) Ang sosyal ha, CANADA!!! Weee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arglene!!! Nakakainis ngayon ko pa nabasa 'to, ang taas pa naman ng emosyon ko hahaha! Thank you for always being a supportive friend and being happy for me! It really was quite a spectacular experience - hopefully there will be more to come :) And hopefully we get to meet in person soon, just like Tito Lits and I I Montreal! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts