Hong Kong Day 2: Scares, strolls, science, and shopping

Day 2 in Hong Kong started off with a scare, as Michael and I were woken up by a shivering Sloan. The boy was fast asleep, but his body was shaking non-stop that it freaked me out! We checked to see if he had fever, but he didn't - thankfully. We turned off the air-con and covered him with a blanket, and the shivering stopped after a while. After waiting for a bit to see if the shivering would recur, and convinced that all was well, we finally went back to sleep.

...only to be woken up just a few minutes later by Sloan, who was all too excited to get on with the holiday activities. Lokong bata, walang kamalay-malay kung pa'no kami na-stress sa kanya! Lol. That prompted an early start to our day and had us looking for a breakfast place.




We ended up at Cafe de Coral, where we joined the early risers of Hong Kong in welcoming the day with a serving of eggs, bacon, and bread.

The Kowloon Park was nearby so we hauled off our un-showered selves there after finishing our meal. I loved this park the first time I went there and was all too happy to have my boys with me on my second visit. It's a huge park that offered a lot of attractions, and we took our time going around. We watched as senior folks went about their tai chi exercises, some of them even wielding swords; we observed the birds in the aviary; we hung out at the playground; and checked out the Avenue of Comic Stars as well (we didn't know any of the characters but they were cute and that's enough lol).









We walked back to the hotel after that. I've to say I'm extremely proud of how Sloan was so game for all the walking. Anyway. We showered, rested a bit, and - since we worked up an appetite after walking around and since breakfast was way too early - had an early lunch at a restaurant that served local dishes.

Our next stop for the day was the Hong Kong Science Museum. It was quite near our hotel so we just walked going there - yey tipid sa pamasahe hehe.









The museum was fun with all its interactive exhibits that entertained Sloan, who hopped from one attraction to another. But it wasn't just Sloan who was entertained - Mike and I also tried things out ourselves.

We took the train to Causeway Bay after that and I headed straight to Ikea. Mike and Sloan gave me some time alone to go shopping for curtains and storage boxes, while they played house in the store's bedroom gallery. This store was smaller than Ikea's usual size, but it's still enough to keep you busy for hours on end. I would've stayed longer but I knew Sloan would get bored after a while, plus more people were starting to arrive.

To reward Sloan for being patient, we crossed the street to Windsor House and took him to the Toys R Us store there. He took his time choosing, as we told him to make sure it's something he really likes and will play with. In the end, he chose a Lego set.



We headed back to Hotel Benito after that, and the boy immediately got busy with his new toy while Mike went off to get us dinner from Yoshinoya and McDonald's, and we wolfed down everything in the comforts of our room.

I set off to take a walk around Kowloon for a bit of me-time after that. I couldn't help but get quite sentimental as I walked the streets I first explored years ago, when I was at a crossroads and Mike and I were basically still getting to know each other. So much has happened since, all for the better. It's quite sappy I know, but I felt all sorts of grateful for everything. I made a quick stop at 7-11 to buy Sloan the chocolates I promised, then, with a smile on face, walked back to the hotel where my boys were waiting.


(Hong Kong vlog is here.)

Comments

Popular Posts