For BRO

 

Minsan sa buhay, kailangan mo lang ng taong magbibigay sa’yo ng pagkakataon.

That was what Mr. Bong Osorio gave me – a shot at a new career, at a time when I was feeling lost. I felt like I no longer belonged in radio, but having devoted my life thus far to being a DJ at ABS-CBN, I didn’t really know where to go or what else I can do.

Sir Bong was the ABS-CBN Corporate Communications Chief at that time. He was one of my professors in UST, and so I thought, why not reach out to him. I knew he wouldn’t really remember me as I was not such a standout student, pero wala namang mawawala kung susubukan ko.  

To my delight, he gave my scrawny resume a look and actually replied to my email. Following the usual hiring process, on the first working day of January 2011, I reported to his department as his Internal Communications Officer. 

I was awful. My writing was weak and I was basically a headless chicken trying to learn as much as I could as fast as I could. But BRO (his Execom nickname, by which we called him), along with Sir Kane Choa, didn’t give up on me. He gently guided me and taught me, and at one point even defended me when somebody tried to get me in trouble. I started to get my groove and properly contribute to the team.



BRO and I also bonded over our love for dancing. After office hours, he and I would go to Fitness First and attend the Retro class together. It always amazed me how he was so down-to-earth. He was this way towards our whole team, and was basically a second father to all of us.

A little over two years in, I resigned to pursue other dreams. Still, BRO and I kept in touch, and would happily take selfies whenever we saw each other in the Anvil Awards, PR Congress, or the Quill Awards.



Like all of the others he mentored, I was devastated when I learned about his medical issue late last year, but I kept my hopes high. Telly and I visited him a few days after his procedure, and we were glad to see him in good spirits. He even shimmied in bed when Telly said he should get well soon so we can dance again. Just before 2019 ended, Telly, Myan, Cetty, RK, baby Tala, and I visited him again in his condo. Just like old times, we chatted for a long time - which surprised his caregiver, who said that that was the longest visit he has accommodated thus far.

We had been wanting to visit again, but COVID-19 happened and we didn’t want to risk it, knowing that BRO was vulnerable. Still, I kept in touch with him through Messenger. I’d send him random messages without expecting a reply, knowing he couldn’t function as well as before. It would always delight me when he’d message me back, reassuring me that he’s doing well. I always took the chance to tell him that I love him and that he is always in my thoughts. I’m glad I did because it would be so awful if I never got to say it before he left for heaven.

It pains me that I cannot visit his wake, pay my respects, and help send him off. But what's really heartbreaking is the thought that I will never get to see him again. Sobrang napakalungkot. 

BRO is one of the reasons why I am thriving today. Because he gave me a chance and he believed in me,  I was able to make something of myself again. The amazing part is that I am but one of the many he helped shine. Take a peek at his Facebook wall and you will see an outpouring of gratitude. That’s the kind of man he was. He was a great teacher, leader, mentor, friend, and father-figure.

And I will miss him so, so much.

I love you, BRO. Maraming, maraming salamat po sa lahat. Rest in paradise.  


Comments

Popular Posts