Saturday morning in UP

Throughout this pandemic, Michael and I have been on the lookout for places where we can bring Sloan so he can catch some sun and go running about. He loves playing outdoors so the quarantine has been hard on him because he's not allowed in our usual weekend haunts. While he can play in our street and he and Michael go out for walks, he can't go that far and his movements are limited. 

Sigh. If only this pandemic is being handled properly by those in charge...

Anyways. Some weeks ago, we learned that UP was once again open to visitors. We weren't too sure if kids were allowed but we thought we'd try anyway. We woke up early one Saturday and put on our sporty outfits.

There was a crowd when we got there, but there was still enough space for social distancing. Seeing people always has me torn - on one hand, I'm all, "Oh no, there are people here!" because of course you want to stay safe; but then, on the other hand, I'm also like, "Hiiiii, guys!" because I am starving for some socialization and a sense of normalcy hahuhu.

After parking, we started to walk, taking some photos along the way because whoa we're outdoors! Every time we'd wander off to the grassy areas, security personnel would usher us back onto the street - I guess they want people to stick to the path so it would be easier for them to monitor. It was still nice though.

My favorite part coming across a Toym Imao art on desaparecidos at the Palma Hall. It spurred some conversation about social issues with Sloan. I love that he seemed genuinely interested and even asked questions. I couldn't help but judge the people giggling and taking photos with the art as background - I hope that they also try to understand the message behind the art. 

Michael and Sloan proceeded to jog, while I waked because I am not fond of running. I caught up with them when they they slowed down, then Michael proceeded to finish the route while Sloan walked with me.

In the Sunken Garden area, we were asked to go a different way because it turned out that kids were not allowed there. I am not too familiar with the streets of UP so we asked for directions and went on our way. The route back to where we were parked was longer, and as we walked, we saw families parked on the side streets, hanging out with younger kids in tow in whatever grassy area was available.

I could totally relate. I'm sure that like Michael and me, other parents just want their kids to be able to enjoy the outdoors again somehow. Not everyone lives in a spacious home complete with a garden where they can catch some rays, much less in gated subdivision where going out to jog or play is doable. After a year in indoors, cabin fever is more palpable than ever. 

After a while, Sloan and I finally found our way back to the parking area, where Michael was already waiting for us. We drove home, took a bath, and spent the rest of Sunday chilling at home. Bitin pa, pero for now, that would have to do, especially now that UP was once again closed due to the rising number of cases in Quezon City.

Here's hoping we all get the vaccine soon and it would be somehow safer for people to go out, get some sun, and be around other people again.


Comments

Popular Posts