bangkok day 2: a flock of crows and a missing cafe

On our second day in Bangkok, Reyna and I set off to find another food joint: Cafe Bangrak. We thought we'd have lunch there, and since we had time, we decided to drop by Lumpini Park first.

It was scorching hot that day and my top easily got soaked as we crossed the wide highways on our way to the park. But I didn't complain as I'd rather have that than the heavy rains from the previous day. Besides, Lumpini had a lot of trees that offered shade and the sun did calm down after a while.





Lumpini is a gem amidst the bustling city. It has wide open spaces that joggers and cyclists could take advantage of, an artificial lake, playgrounds, and picnic areas. We sat down in one of the wooden benches to relax a little after the walk, and marveled at the huge flock of crows that feasted on scavenged bread. I have to admit that we were a little creeped out by how the crows were so huge and quick on their feet - it's like they could attack at any given moment! Lol. It didn't help that they looked so fierce. Seryosong medyo natakot ako haha.

Maybe the birds sensed my fear and thought they'd play a prank on me, because as we were strolling, Reyna noticed that I had bird poop on my shirt! Kaloka hahaha. There I was feeling cute in my cold-shoulder top, e may ipot naman pala ng ko ng ibon sa likod ko lololol. We laughed it off as we made our way to Cafe Bangrak.

...which proved to be a struggle lol. We had a map but couldn't quite pinpoint the exact location of the cafe, so we'd ask for directions at every chance we get. For some reason, people kept on telling us to go right. After walking quite a distance, Cafe Bangrak was still nowhere in sight, so we retraced our steps until we were right back where we started. We took one left turn from there, and voila! Cafe Bangrak, finally!




It may have been quite an effort to find, but the food and the local artworks they had more than made up for the hassle. After a sumptuous meal, we were off once again. This time, back to the Centara World area, where we will go pasalubong shopping at the supermarket.

Supermarkets are always my go-to place for pasalubong shopping. I like buying local snacks or popular brands that come in local flavors. We went to the supermarket at the basement of Siam Paragon mall, and wow, the pasalubong section seriously blew me away! There were spices, dried fruits, chocolates, rice crackers and more, all of which came in such pretty packaging which always wins in my book. We bought quite a lot of stuff, good thing our hotel was near so we didn't have to commute with shopping bags in tow.




That night, we cleaned up for the gala night of the Sports Industry Awards Asia. Before heading to the event, we first stopped by Uno Mas restaurant and bar to avail the complimentary sangria and tapas courtesy of the hotel. Located atop the Centara Grand Hotel, Uno Mas offered a spectacular view, and again I found myself feeling all grateful for being there.



The gala night was held at the Bangkok Convention Centre, which was linked to the hotel. Drinks were free flowing and the hor d'oeuvres were delicious, so Reyna and I were understandably happy.




When we were finally led inside the ballroom, we found ourselves in the company of a variety of nationalities, all of whom have impressive sports initiatives around Asia. More than once Reyna and I found ourselves overwhelmed with the whole thing. It was, for me, definitely a "What am I doing here?" kind of moment lol. And while our two entries did not end up winning, it still was an accomplishment to have been named finalists.

...I will admit that of course it would've been so much better if we won lololol.

Comments

Popular Posts