surreal cab ride

I experienced the most surreal cab ride last Wednesday, as I was on my way to meet Annej for lunch at Podium.

It started out ordinarily enough – I hailed the cab just outside our street, and thanked the heavens when the driver didn’t refuse nor ask for extra cash - citing heavy traffic -  as many drivers do.

We haven’t gotten that far from where I got on when the driver received a call. It was easy to see that the call was urgent, and I could hear him asking the person on the other end questions like, Nabagsakan? Pano nangyari yon?”

When he was done with the call, he shared with me what happened. Apparently, his wife, who was 7 months pregnant, got into an accident at home. Their house was being repaired, he said, and something heavy fell on his wife’s tummy. I expressed concern and offered to get off so he can drive home and be with his wife.

“Andun naman po yung mga kapatid ko, dadalhin na siya sa ospital,” he said. Malapit lang naman yung Ortigas, at baka makakuha pa ko ng pasahero pabalik. P300 pa lang kasi ang pera ko dito.”

The driver added that he actually had fever (caused by a toothache), pero bumyahe pa rin daw siya para kumita. “Mahirap talaga ang pera, pero magkakaroon din po yan ng paraan,” he said, sounding as though he was trying to convince himself.

So we went on our way. I would glance at the driver at the rearview mirror from time to time just to check if he’s okay, especially since we we’re still on the road. I also made a mental note to give a substantial tip, to somehow help him out with the expenses, albeit in a small way.

Somewhere in Cubao, near P. Tuazon I think, he received another call. He appeared more distressed this time. Soon as he  put the phone down, he told me, “Patay na ho.”

I was stunned. It was too surreal to be with a stranger who’s receiving a news as devastating as this. He deserved to be with somebody close to him who can comfort him properly.

I wanted to know if it was the wife or the baby – or both – who died. “Sino po?” I asked.

“Yung asawa ko,” he shared with a hint of anguish in his voice. “Hindi na daw umabot sa ospital kasi walang perang pamasahe.”

I didn’t know what to say. I meekly offered my condolences and immediately agreed when he said he would have to let me off at the nearest bus stop, near Boni Serrano, so he can head to Fairview where they live.

The driver appeared stressed and rubbed his eyes a lot, but he didn’t break down and cry. He would also feel his neck - maybe to check his temperature.

The thought that it might all be a scam crossed my mind. But my gut feel is that it was real and my instinct was to try and help in whatever way I could. If it was a scam, then at least nobody really died. Mike said that if it was all just an act to get money from me, then at least he didn't harm me and robbed of my valuables.

When we got to the bus stop, I handed the driver may payment plus a little extra, and told him to take care on his way home. I wish I got to ask about the baby, but I didn’t want to get him all emotional since he still had to drive.

As I watched the driver make a u-turn to head back north, I just said a quick prayer for him and his family.

I dearly hope he’s okay.

Comments

Popular Posts