throwback: yogyakarta, indonesia

We're Indonesia-bound for the holidays! My sister Lycel won't be coming home for the holidays and so she thought she'd fly us in so we can spend Christmas and New Year together in Jakarta then in Bali. Of course we said yes! Because who passes up the chance to spend such special occasions with family? In this case, my only family lol. And who passes up the chance to travel for free?

After a bit of a back-and-forth regarding the dates and the requirements, Rocel was finally able to book all that needed to be booked, from flights to accommodations. It's been a while since I last saw Indonesia, not to mention spent time with my sister, so I'm totally psyched about the trip! So much that I've been looking at photos of the last trip, which was way back 2009.

It was my 30th birthday then. I was recovering from a crazy period of my life and the only way I wanted to spend such a milestone in my life was with my sister. Perfect timing because my sister had week-long break coming up and we could spend some quality time together. And so we booked a trip to Jakarta. As a birthday gift, Ate also booked flights to Yogyakarta, so we could see the heritage sites like the Prambanan and Borubodur. With us during the trip were Rocel and Aicel. It was a fantastic trip and definitely a great way to celebrate my 30th!

I thought I'd post photos of that trip, as a warm-up to the upcoming one. So psyched!


The Ramayana ballet. It was beautiful but we didn't get to finish it because we were all so sleepy after a very early flight from Jakarta. Must go back someday to finish it lol.


Checking out the Keraton Hall. That's a gamelan ensemble behind us.

The Borobudur Temple is such a splendid sight.

Claiming a bell at the Borobudur. Since it was a holiday, the place was packed. 


I have long been curious about the wayang kulit, and I finally got to see a show during a stopover.


... even better, Mike and I got to try it too!


Fancy coffee with hot charcoals? The coals apparently lower the caffeine degree. Interesting drink from Angkringan Lik Man! Mike went on lifestyle show host mode, and described the experience ala-Anthony Bourdain. He totally had us in stitches!


Sidewalk party at a street near the railway station which was lined with angkringans. We don't have a photo, but the whole street was filled with locals who were all seated on their mats in the pavement. It was like we were in one big picnic!


Beautiful music from the gamelan ensemble.


The Prambanan took my breath away.


Looking forward to more adventures with my sister :)

Comments

Popular Posts