on writing

Four years after leaving a 10-year career in radio, I think I'm starting to get my footing. It was pretty confusing at first because being in broadcasting was that one goal I had since college, and now that I had already accomplished it, I didn't really know what to do next. I was able to try television work both in front of the camera and behind the scenes, but I've realized that it may not be my cup of tea (at least, not during that time).

I plunged into the corporate world via a role in communications, which I've always believed was my strength. I became a 9-5 kind of girl for the first time ever, and where I used to dread a desk job, I've realized that it's not so bad after all - especially when you enjoy the company of the people you work with and when you have experts as mentors. 

The best part? It's been such a great learning experience from then til now, and I am realizing that I am capable of so much more beyond what I used to do. 

Like writing, for instance.

I've always enjoyed writing, but I was never that confident about what I churn out. I always felt like nakaka-tsamba lang ako when people like what what I've written. But I've been doing nothing but write for the past four years - everything from feature articles, press releases, video scripts, advertising copy, and even speeches - and I guess practice is paying off. I am now more confident of my work, and I now feel that I do deserve to be called a writer.

One of the biggest thrills in line with this seeing my work (and sometimes, my name) on print. This has always been a dream, but one that I never really allowed myself to say out loud nor claim. I guess all those quotes about following your heart and reaching for your dreams got to me. Thankfully so, because yeah, it does pay off :)

Yes! Magazine
Working Mom Magazine
Mom's Today Magazine
The Philippine Star
Zee Lifestyle Magazine 

Comments

Popular Posts