From tricycle driver to sales exec


This is a story I wrote for e-Frequency, ABS-CBN's intranet, which I handled back when I was still with the company (more on that later). It is among my favorite of the many articles I've written because German is an extraordinary person. I hope he inspires you too :)

***

 German Pablico's climb to the top will inspire every Kapamilya

It’s been 16 years, but to this day, German Pablico still remembers his very first day at work in ABS-CBN General Santos City vividly.



It was in March 1996. He arrived at 5 am, much too early for his supposed time-in of 9 am. The entrance leading to the 3rd floor of Asia Glass Building where the ABS-CBN Gen San office was located was still locked and there wasn’t a place to sit, so he had to wait for four hours on his feet.

But he didn’t mind at all. He was too excited to feel tired - after all, it was a big break for him, a tricycle driver, to be joining the company.

Humble beginnings

It was a friend, who was an ABS-CBN cameraman, who encouraged Pablico to apply in the company, and fortunately, he got in. He started out as a driver and a utility guy, cleaning the office, making coffee, driving the company car, and assisting the account executives (AE) who were trying to close sales contracts for the company.


“I wasn’t earning much then so I thought of selling lunch to my fellow employees,” he shared. “My wife and I would wake up early to cook food then I’d walk about 400 meters to the tricycle terminal carrying all the food I’ll be selling.”

A big break

At that time, ABS-CBN was fairly new in Gen San and it was a challenge for the AEs to convince clients to advertise so they may reach their sales quotas. It came to a point when the AEs started resigning one after the other, until there was none left.

Having assisted AEs many times before, Pablico readily took on their tasks and even got existing clients to renew their contracts with ABS-CBN. “Before I knew it, I had already closed so many contracts and I was also able to bring in new clients as well,” he said.

One day, his boss told Pablico that he will be transferred to Sales and promoted to the position of account executive.

While it was a big break, he wanted to turn down the offer. He felt that given his humble beginnings, it would be impossible for him to perform the job well.

“But my boss reminded me about how much I’ve done to boost the company’s sales” Pablico said. “She told me that all I have to do is work hard and it will all be okay.”
He accepted the promotion.

Getting his groove

It took a while before Pablico was able to overcome the feeling of insecurity. But the support and assistance of his officemates and manager, as well as the inspiration from his family helped him to slowly come out of his shell.


He was also given the chance to go back to school and finish his studies, as well as attend trainings and conferences.

All these pushed him to do his best at work. Now, he contributes more than 50% to ABS-CBN Gen San’s total sales quota.

Also, the former driver now drives his very own car.

“When I started working for the company, we were poor and all I really wanted was to live a comfortable life,” he said. “Now I can provide for my loved ones and buy what I need. ABS-CBN helped me make my dreams come true.”




Comments

Popular Posts